Tuesday 10 August 2010

Flatworms

Been catching flatworms in the river near where I live... I was able to catch several black ones, two grey ones, and a white one.  The black ones are almost certainly Dugesia polychroa... the white one possibly Phagocota vitta.  I'll have to wait a bit until they settle down before I can take a closer look at the white and grey ones.  Flatworms have always fascinated me, ever since reading about them in an old copy of 'Animals without backbones'.  The problem of course was finding them... the streams near where I lived (as a child) were muddy and not really suitable for them.  My identifications are from Ball and Reynoldson's "British Planarians", which may be a bit dated.  Hopefully I'll figure out a way to get some pictures of them posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment